Introducing a new family member? I am sure you are as excited as any parent would be. Because dogs are not just pet to us. They are our cutest ever friend, who would never leave you alone even if you don’t treat them well. These little furry friends can add color to your family and trust us within a few months you are going to love them blindly. So, before you welcome them home, here are certain things you should bring home immediately.
- Collar and leash: We are not saying put a leash around their neck right on the first day. But for public safety and their own safety putting them on leash is very much important. Put a collar around their neck which will contain your name and phone number. The collar is attached to the leash to make easier to walk for both you and your dog.
- Crates: It is a must for every puppy owner. Crates and containment devices are very helpful to observe your new family member closely and bring an opportunity to housetrain them. We would advice you do get a dog crate or carrier, playpen, and an exercise pen, or gate when you bring this little soul home.
- Dog bed: Not just you, even dogs would love to snuggle down in a soft and cozy bed. There are smaller beds and bumper beds covered in fleece or sheepskin. They are very soft and keep them worm and cozy. To add more comfort, you can get them a pillow, cushions, dog-sized couches and many other luxury items.
If you want to buy dog products on an urgent basis, you can rely on the collection of Lambert Vet Supply. Check out the existing deals before placing your order.
Parenting a dog is not an easy task and until you devote sufficient time, seeing a healthy and active dog is a bit challenging. To make your pet feel special, you need to take intense care of your pet and buy them the things they might require to supplement their day care activities. Some of these accessories may be extremely necessary while a lot others are needed to make their life convenient. Whatever the purpose is, it is important to get these accessories on priority. So, let’s know what accessories are important for dogs:
- Feeding bowls and water bowls are one of the first things you need to get for your pooch. The size of the bowl would depend on the weight and size of your dog. It’s better not to buy the plastic ones, since they might get cracks and harbor bacteria. Instead, you should buy a steel bowl.
- The next thing you would require is a collar and a leash. While buying one, you need to keep the size and strength of your dog under consideration. It is recommended that your dog’s collar bear an ID tag with your contact information. It will help you if your dog gets lost.
- If you are living in one of those big cities, where dog poop can impose hefty fines on the owner, you need to buy the poop scooper. This will help you to abide by the law without restricting movements of your dog.
Along with these accessories, there are some more dog accessories you might consider essential for your dog. One of these items can be gravity refillable water dishes. Depending on the weather you live in your dog would require accessories like dog-sweaters and sweat shirts. In addition to this, you can get dog booties that protect your dog’s feet and pad.
Creepy, life threatening parasites, heartworms attack an animal’s heart and cause congenital heart problems if not treated in right time. Heartworms are transmitted from one animal to another, after one is bitten by mosquitoes. They are normally found in the right ventricle of the heart and the blood vessels in the nearby areas.
Adult female worms living in the heart of your pet produce millions of baby parasites that eventually circulate through the body of your pet. Sadly, when a mosquito bites one such infected animal, it actually sucks up the baby worms and transmit them to the next animal it bites. After a new animal is bitten by the heartworm carrying mosquito, the worms would start growing inside the newly infected animal.
After transmitting into the body of a new animal, it takes them around 6-7 months to grow adult and start reproducing. They can be detected only after growing adults. So, before diagnosis an animal lives with these extremely harmful worms for at least 6 months. They are mostly diagnosed through blood tests or X-rays.
As we know that heartworms can spread from animal to animal, it is very much necessary to use preventive measures to protect your cat. Veterinarians are recommending heartworm prevention for dogs across the world, the effect of heartworm in cats is also increasing. So, vets are also recommending prevention for cats.
To protect your pets from heartworm diseases you can take the following measures:
- Puppies, reached the age of 8 weeks, should be given a heartworm preventative.
- Once they become 7 months old, even if your puppy is taking preventive medicine, they should be tested for heartworms.
- Dogs should be tested on a regular basis every 2 to 3 years if your dog is given preventive medication every year.
For heartworm medications, check out the stock of Lambert Vet Supply. For quick delivery and the best quality products, you can rely on this online medicine supplier.
When those innocent, little eyes longingly stare at you, it becomes difficult to resist the urge to involve your ferret in whatever tempting treat they are trying to tease out of you. But, do not forget it is you who are responsible for the health condition of your pet. So, you, being a rational person, should make sure your ferret is having the right kind of food.
Only 5% of your ferret’s diet should consist of treats and not all treats are of the same quality. Being obligate carnivores, the nutritional needs of ferrets differ from dogs, cats and even humans. They can’t have the same food that other animals or even humans have on a regular basis. Ferrets require a high fat, high protein, low fiber diet with the main protein source coming from the meat. Ferrets can not digest fruit, vegetables, cereals, fibers easily. They should not be given sweet/sugary food that can increase the risk of dental problems, obesity and risk of insulinoma.
Some great treat options for your ferret:
- You can get your ferret some freeze dried, raw, cooked chicken, turkey, salmon, beef and organ meats such as chicken liver or hearts, salt free jerky etc. Try to avoid seasoned or processed meats like salami, bacon or lunchmeat.
- Get them some live or dried crickets, earthworms, mealworms, cockroaches.
- Get your ferrets some chicken or turkey baby food. They can become addicted to this and can work as a temporary substitute for kibble if your baby is recovering from surgery and is one of those picky eaters.
- Your ferret may also like to have raw or cooked unseasoned eggs, obviously after removing the shell.
For your ferret’s healthy skin and coat, you can get them Linatone. Rich in fatty acids, this supplement is able to take care of the coat of your pets. For quick delivery and authentic products, place your order today at Lambert Vet Supply.
When your furry daughter goes for birthing, you experience a mixed feeling of excitement and stress. If you plan it well, it can be a wonderful experience. But, it is not possible to plan for all probable outcomes. In order to minimize the chances of these dangers, you are advised to be prepared with the necessary supplies, tools and implements and stay in constant touch with your veterinarian.
At around eight or nine weeks, the bitch gets ready to give birth to the pups. As the time approaches closer, you should keep a whelping area ready that has to be dry, clean and of normal temperature. It should be free of any hustle or bustle. After consulting your vet, you should get a set of dog whelping supplies which would include a few clean towels, sealed trash receptacles, blankets, hemostat forceps, weaning bottle, lubrication, scissors, iodine and a thermometer without fail.
Throughout the process of birthing thermometer is the thing, you will have to use very frequently. The temperature of a normal dog is around 101.5 degrees. Around 12 to 24 hours prior to whelping your bitch would experience a sudden decrease in temperature at least by 1-3 degrees. When it is the right time, she will manifest the symptoms of restlessness, a decrease in her appetite, mammary gland enlargement, a relaxed belly and a relaxed vulva. If she is showing these symptoms, it means her labor is about to happen.
In maximum cases, dogs can take care of their labor themselves, unless it is a very complex situation. Your duty would be just to observe her actions and try to make her comfortable. Some bitches love to go for peeing in between births, let her do that. Supply her with food if she wants to have it. In case you notice the birth is going to be abnormal, you should immediately consult your vet and take the necessary steps advised by the vet.
To maintain a healthy quality of life, it is very much essential that you make right nutritional balance for your dog. Vitamins and minerals are essential elements for their bodies and they keep your dog’s body working correctly, remove toxins and assist in digestion. Along with vitamins, minerals and natural enzymes help dogs to remain active and healthy. However, not all the vitamins work same in your dog’s body.
A huge number of bodily functions require vitamins. That is why it is very much important to have a balance of all the vitamins. There are mainly two types of vitamins – water soluble and fat soluble. Fat soluble vitamins are stored in fatty tissues and the liver. Vitamins like A, D, E and K are soluble in fatty tissues and they remain in the body for a long time.
Water soluble vitamins are flushed out of the body of your dog on a regular basis. B Group of vitamins and Vitamin C are some of the water soluble vitamins. Unlike human beings, a dog’s body can produce their own vitamin C. So, one needs to supply their dog with B vitamins.
If your dog is getting all the required nutritions from their regular food, you may not have to opt for a supplement. But, if you get a supplement for your puppy, it can boost their regular growth. Even the supplements can be of help for the senior dogs, as they may have difficulties in absorbing nutrients. Before you decide on supplying supplements, you should consult your vet, as they may suggest you the right kind of supplement according to the body mass and nutritional requirements. Pet Cal is one such supplement that can supply your dog with Vitamin D that supports strong, healthy bones and teeth in dogs.
It wasn’t easy to accept, but I needed to deal with the news that my dearest canine friend Lima was suffering from Osteoarthritis. I was shocked to death, but then the vet explained me, she can still fight with this pain and get well soon to walk at ease.
How I knew she has Osteoarthritis
One day after office when I reached home, she didn’t come and wish me jumping as she usually used to do. Initially I thought she might be sick or may be occupied with her favourite chews, but then I looked at her helpless face and could understand she is having difficulties in moving. I thought of observing her for a few days. In next few days, I could notice that she is not able to jump into the car or into the stairs. So much so that she was not even able to reach her favourite chair. Gradually she became irritable, nervous and less active. This is when I decided to take her to the local vet for check up.
What is Osteoarthritis
For me, she was still very young. But, the reality was she reached the age of 12 by then. The vet confirmed that she has Osteoarthritis. He explained me how this degenerative disease involves one or more joints in the body of a dog. The vet also added that the dogs in between their middle and old age suffer from this joint pain. The pain generally triggers due to excessive wear in one or more joints.
How to reduce the pain
My question was very direct, “Am I losing my cheerful daughter?”, to which he replied she won’t be perfectly cured but definitely she would lead a better life if the treatment starts immediately. He prescribed Nutramax cosequin for my baby. Thanks to the medicine and the vet obviously, for making my daughter relieved of such a distressed situation.